Introduction / Caveat
This is for Pathfinder Version 1, with the original Summoner class (i.e. not the Unchained Summoner).
Attack Configurations for (low-level) Bipeds:
- Claw/Claw (0 points, d4/d4)
- Claw/Claw/Bite (1 point, d4/d4/d6)
- Claw/Claw, Improved Damage (claws) (1 point, d6/d6)
- Slam (1 point, d8) – claws replaced
- Slam/Bite (2 points, d8, d6)
- Claw/Claw/Bite, Improved Damage (bite) (2 points, d4/d4/d8)
- Claw/Claw/Bite, Improved Damage (claws) (2 points, d6/d6/d6)
- Slam + Improved Damage (slam) (2 points, 2d6) – one attack
- Slam/Bite, Improved Damage (slam) (3 points, 2d6, d6)
- with Power Attack feat and default 16 str, this becomes 2d6+5 and d6+5 = average 21 dmg.
- AOO damage = 2d6+3 (2d6 + 5 w/Power Attack)
- Claw/Claw/Claw/Claw (extra limbs + extra claws) (3 points, d4/d4/d4/d4):
- with Power Attack feat and default 16 str, this becomes 4 @ d4+5, or 5-9 dmg per attack (avg 7 dmg each or 28 dmg)
- AOO damage = d4+3 (d4+5 w/Power Attack)
- Because of AOO’s and Standard-action attacks (i.e. when you can’t full-attack), and Damage Reduction (DR), it’s generally considered that higher-damage attacks are better than lower-damage attacks, and the evolution-point cost reflects this idea.
- If you want more damage / attack, it’s generally better to burn a feat and get Power Attack than use up Evo points for Improved Damage.
Common Progression (Evo Points):
L1 – Bite (1), Claws(0), Improved Natural Armor (1), Reach (1 claw)
L2 – Bite (1), Claws(0), Improved Natural Armor (1), Ability Gain (2, +2 Str)
L3 – Bite (1), Claws(0), Impr Armor (1), Ability Gain (2), and one of: Grab(1), Reach-Bite(1), Skill Bonus(e.g. +8 to Perception), etc.
L4 – Bite (1), Claws(0), Impr Armor (1), Ability Gain (2), Gore (2)
L5 – Bite (1), Claws(0), Impr Armor (1), Gore(2), Flight (2), Energy Attacks (2)