For team games and alliances, here are some things to consider when choosing your ally. Thanks to my good allies Faqudi and Imzadi for input.
Considerations by Faqudi:
What I would consider important in a team are the following qualities (in no particular order):
– big carriers
– counters to big carriers
– free fighters
– minefield control
– good defense
– money advantages
– mineral advantages
Big carriers and free fighters are self-evident, though EE free fighters doesn’t compare in any way to the rest.
Counters to big carriers: other big carriers; Fascist double beams and GD ships; Fed crew bonus; Lizard 150%
Cloakers: Birds have the best; Privs the fastest but most likely to break; Lizards and Fascists have usable cloakers
Mobility: Privs have GA ships; Borg has Fireclouds; Colonies have Cobols which allow big fleet movements
Minefield control: Robots have cheap large minefields; Colonies can sweep mines with fighters; Fascists have lots of beams
Good defense: Crystal is the chosen one
Money advantages: Feds tax double; Lizards Hisss; Fascists Pillage
Mineral advantages: Lizards; Rebels and Colonies have relatively cheap big carriers
Without thinking too long about it, my short-list of most useful advantages would look something like
1. Good economy
4. Big carriers
6. Free fighters in space
8. Minefield control
Best Race Combinations:
It’s unfortunate that some races make better allies than others, but given the priorities listed above, there are a great many “good” race combinations.
- Lizards + Borg
- Feds + any large carrier race (Empire, Robots, Rebels, Colonies)
- Fascists + Rebels
- Birds + Robots / Crystals (very good cloaking mine-layers are highly annoying)
A three-race combination is actually easier to put together than a two-race combo, simply because there are more ways to cover each race’s weaknesses.
- Lizards, Privateers, Cyborg:
- Economy, mobility and lategame. With a large area to cover, Fireclouds are amazing. Lizards and Privateers attempt to slow down aggression until the Cyborg can produce mass numbers of Cubes, and a Firecloud network.
- Lizards, Crystals, Cyborg:
- Similar to above, but more defensive in nature. Both the Crystals and Borg can be overwhelmed early without support.
- Feds, Fascists, Rebels/Colonies:
- These races are all well-balanced, and a combination of them gives very high utility. Even if one race is hit early, it is likely to be able to stall long enough to get help.